Special Educational Needs

NFF / Special Educational Needs

If your child has a special needs or disability, the SSAFA (Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association) website contains some very helpful information.

Family Fund

Family Fund is the UK’s largest charity providing grants for families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people. Last year, we provided 89,423 grants or services worth over £36 million to families across the UK. Please visit their website here.

Disability Benefits
GOV.UK – Is the official government website for citizens and has a comprehensive section on Money, Tax and Benefits. Visit their website to find out if you are entitled to any disability benefits.

Citizens Advice Bureau – Offer advice on many subjects, including welfare and disability benefits.

Those residing in Scotland should contact Citizens Advice Scotland.

Special Educational Needs
The term ‘Special Educational Needs’ (SEN) has a legal definition, referring to children who have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn or access education than other children of the same age.

If your child has a special educational need, they may require extra help in a range of areas, such as reading and writing, comprehension of information, building relationships and behavioral issues. They may also have a physical or sensory need which must be addressed.

Registering a Special Educational Need
A special educational need should be registered with the Service. Although it is not compulsory it would also be beneficial to register with CEAS, so that they can liaise with your employer to ensure that your child’s needs can be met on future postings.

Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS)
The Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS) has been established specifically for Service families. It is aware of the unique circumstances of Service families and can offer information, advice and support on all aspects of a child/young person’s education within the UK and overseas. You can contact CEAS on: 01980 618244 or e-mail them at: CEAS is part of the Directorate Children and Young People; the MOD’s tri-Service lead for the delivery of statutory services for children and young people within the Armed Forces community worldwide.

Welfare Information Office
Your local Welfare Information Office is another excellent source of information regarding educational support agencies in your community.